Tuesday 7 February 2012

Documentary, scripted questions

My documentary is based on whether schools prepare students for the 'real' world. Therefore my questions have to be directly linked to school in order to stay on topic, and get the most relevant answers in the time that I have to conduct the interviews.

I will include information from articles that has been published in newspapers and on the Internet, such as an article in The Guardian which states that the struggle of students is "of no fault of their own" and blame the examination system as it doesn't prepare students for the step from GCSE to A-level. They use quotes of specific people of importance such as an examiner who they quote saying "Of course it's nice if they write an introduction, but they won't get any marks for it." Their hypothesis was about how secondary schools are not adequately preparing students for higher education.

With this in mind my questions should be thought provoking but easy to understand, interpret, explain and expand upon. My interview questions will be open and should be personal as I will be asking students about how they feel, so the topic is specific to them. Although the questions I use will be to prompt a more specific answer as to narrow the interview to a final opinion of the interviewee.
  1. Do you think schools prepare students for the real 'world'? (By real world, I mean when students leave education and move onto to university, family or work.) 
  2. Why do you think this?
  3. Do you think this could be prevented?
  4. Do you think everything is being done to teach valuable and necessary life skills? 
To get an overall view of students I will create a simple and short questionnaire to get a basic view and see whether it agrees with my hypothesis or argues against it.
My questionnaire will consist of:
  1. Do you think school prepares you for the world after you leave education?
  2. What does school do to prepare you for after education?
  3. Do you think when you leave school you will be prepared?
  4. Do you think more can be done to ensure students are prepared for life after education?
  5. What do you think can be done to improve knowledge about life skills necessary after education? 
I will be able to form a basic outline of information which will make it easier to put in statistics from other sources and see whether this is an overall view or just the view of people in this school.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment